Hair is known as ‘crowning glory’, tresses are a direct expression of an individual’s personality and style. Excessive hair loss can be a troublesome problem, often causing worry and affecting self-esteem, especially for women. However, if diagnosed right, you can control hair fall with certain home remedies that are natural and effective in saving your locks.
First, it is important to know the causes of hair fall:
- Nutritional deficiencies-Hormonal Imbalance
- Thyroid issues-Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Birth Control Pills
- Other drugs ( blood thinners and medicines that treat high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis, and depression.)
- Hairstyling products
- Medical Conditions
- Combing wet hairs
- Tying hair too tightly
Natural Remedies to Treat Hair Fall:
- Diet and Exercise
You need to feed your hair all the right nutrients, particularly plenty of protein and iron. However, along with eating a balanced diet ensure you are exercising side by side. Yoga and meditation are effective in reducing hair fall.
Oiling improves blood circulation and nourishes the roots. Make sure to massage your tresses once a week with oil that suits your scalp. Cover it with a shower cap and wash it off with a mild shampoo after two hours.
- Egg Mask
Eggs are rich in sulphur, phosphorus, selenium, iodine, zinc and protein, which together helppromote hair growth.
To prepare the mask :
- Separate one egg white in a bowl and add a teaspoon each of olive oil and honey.
- Beat to make a paste and apply it all over from root to tips. After 20 minutes, rinse with a mild shampoo.
- Licorice Root
This herb prevents hair loss and further damage to the hair. It helps soothe the scalp and get rid of any dry flakes/dandruff.
- Make a paste by adding a tablespoon of ground licorice root and a quarter teaspoon saffron to one cup of milk.
- Apply this to your scalp and hair length and leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash your hair.
- Coconut Milk
The protein and essential fats in it promote hair growth and prevent hair loss. To prepare the milk:
- Grate a medium-sized coconut and simmer it in a pan for five minutes.
- Strain and cool.
- Then add one tablespoon of each of crushed black pepper and fenugreek seeds to the milk.
- Apply on your scalp
- After 20 minutes, rinse & wash with shampoo.
- Green Tea
This tea is rich in antioxidants, which help boost hair growth and prevent hair loss.
- Soak two-three teabags in one-two cups of hot water depending on the length of your hair.
- When it cools, pour this over your scalp and hair, while gently massaging your head.
- Rinse with cool water after an hour.
- Beetroot Juice
Beetroot is rich in vitamins C and B6, folate, manganese, betaine, and potassium, all of which are essential for healthy hair growth. Besides, it acts as a detoxification agent by helping keep the scalp clean.
- Boil 7-8 beetroot leaves and grind along with 5-6 henna leaves.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Greek Yoghurt and Honey
- Mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt with 1 tablespoon of honey and lemon in a bowl.
- Using a dye brush, apply this paste on the scalp and roots.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is an effective home remedy for hair loss and to boost hair growth. It is also effective in reducing problems of the scalp like itching and flaking.
- Take the stalk of Aloe Vera and extract the pulp.
- Apply it to your hair and scalp and leave it for about 45 minute
- Rinse with normal water. You can do this three to four times a week to see better results.
- Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek or Methi seed is among the most effective home remedies to stop hair loss. It repairs the hair follicles and helps in the regrowth of the hair.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds overnight in water.
- Grind it to a fine paste and apply it to your hair and scalp.
- Leave the paste on your head for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 to 40 minutes, rinse it with normal water.
- Onion Juice
The antibacterial properties of onions help fight against scalp infections, while the sulfur content improves the circulation of blood to the hair follicles. It promotes hair growth and controls the loss of hair.
Indian Gooseberry or Amla is another effective home remedy to stop hair fall. One of the causes is the deficiency of vitamin C, hence consuming amla will strengthen the hair follicles and help you to control it. Amla helps promote faster growth of hair, maintain a healthy scalp, and prevent premature greying.
- You can mix lime juice and the amla powder to make a paste. Massage it to your scalp and hair.
- Keep it for an hour and then rinse it off with normal water.
- Diet for Healthy Hair
While home remedies play a role in maintaining healthy hair, the secret to thick, shiny, strong tresses is a healthy diet. Include the following foods for a healthy mane
- Strawberries and guavas
- Sweet potatoes
- Cucumber -Flaxseeds
- Nuts & seeds